11.19.2010

The sixth day before Thanksgiving

Last year, I started to post bits of my favorite Christmas books, poems, and movies as Facebook statuses.  I've kept collecting such things, and now even have a few Thanksgiving related pieces.  And so, in an effort to actually post on my blog for once, welcome to the first annual Thanksgiving-and-then-Christmas countdown. 

Here's a portion of the classic Thanksgiving TV special, A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving. I admire Charlie Brown's optimism, but this is not what my dad means when he says that "past performance is no guarantee of future returns."  The returns on trusting Lucy are pretty guaranteed.
Lucy van Pelt: [holding football] Charlie Brown! Oh, Charlie Brown!
Charlie Brown: I can't believe it. She must think I'm the most stupid person alive.
Lucy van Pelt: Come on, Charlie Brown. I'll hold the ball and you kick it.
Charlie Brown: Hold it? Ha! You'll pull it away and I'll land flat on my back and kill myself.
Lucy van Pelt: But Charlie Brown, it's Thanksgiving.
Charlie Brown: What's that got to do with anything?
Lucy van Pelt: Well, one of the greatest traditions we have is the Thanksgiving Day football game. And the biggest, most important tradition of all is the kicking off of the football.
Charlie Brown: Is that right?
Lucy van Pelt: Absolutely. Come on, Charlie Brown. It's a big honor for you.
Charlie Brown: Well, if it's that important, a person should never turn down a big honor. Maybe I should do it. Besides, she wouldn't try to trick me on a traditional holiday. This time I'm gonna kick that football clear to the moon!
[he runs to kick the ball, but Lucy pulls it away]
Charlie Brown: Aaauuugh!
[falls flat on his back]
Lucy van Pelt: Isn't it peculiar, Charlie Brown, how some traditions just slowly fade away?

No comments: