5.24.2012

Review: The Power of Mother Love: Strengthening the Bond Between You and Your Child


The Power of Mother Love: Strengthening the Bond Between You and Your Child
The Power of Mother Love: Strengthening the Bond Between You and Your Child by Brenda Hunter

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



You'll probably hate this book if you are:
*a feminist.
*a working mother.
*not a Christian.
*prone to freaking out about what you "should" be doing.

But it is a great book about how mothers influence their children to be good, Godly, happy people, right from the very beginning, with tips on how to use one's power for awesome. I personally found it very inspiring. My baby needs me.

I'm also thrilled to find (finally!) a pro-spanking attachment parenting book. Dr. Hunter gives a great explanation of how to discipline out of love, not out of anger.

If parenting books usually make you feel like you've already failed your kids, I wouldn't recommend this book just because I think kids most need happy, confident mothers. Dr. Hunter is very careful to acknowledge that no one can be perfect, but it would be easy for an anxious personality to come away from this book thinking babies have to be with their mothers ALL THE TIME OR ELSE.

But I'm not a worrier, so that isn't how I took it. I hear her calling for true selflessness in mothers. Not a false martyrdom, not selfishness in the name of creating "independent" children; mothers who give themselves for the benefit of their children in every moment. That's hard, but Dr. Hunter helps me believe I can do it.



View all my reviews

5 comments:

MagistraCarminum said...

Sounds wonderful. And you are already a terrific mom!

Unknown said...

Hey, if you think that I'm not too much of a nervous-wreck type Mom, maybe you suggest i look into reading it? Now, if you think I'd benefit, don't expect me to have it fully read in an hour....expect 2 years! Haha. But seriously, please let me know if you think I should get it. Thanks!

Unknown said...

P.s. "Unknown" is your sister-in-law....obviously I needed my husband to help me post properly! Sheesh.

MagistraCarminum said...

LOL Nik- I wondered if that was you! :-) I love mt girls!

The Minnesotan with the German-Irish Name said...

Nik, I don't know if you would really want to read it. Most of the first half is about studies on babies and attachment (interesting to me, but not very practical), and I'm not sure if it would interest you. The second half has more tips and ideas.

I can loan you my copy if you want to take a look. (But I would need to get it back! It's actually my mom's)